The Public Health (Coronavirus) (Protection from Eviction and Taking Control of Goods) (England) Regulations 2020.
Today, 17th November 2020, a new statutory instrument comes into force in England, covering the recent guidelines issued by the Lord Chancellor to the High Court Enforcement Officers Association.
Residential tenancies (protection from eviction)
During the national lockdown that began on 5th November, enforcement agents may not carry out residential evictions or serve notice of eviction unless the order for possession is made:
- Against trespassers pursuant to a claim to which rule 55.6 (service of claims against trespassers) of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998(2) applies
- Wholly or partly under section 84A (absolute ground for possession for anti-social behaviour) of the Housing Act 1985
- Wholly or partly on ground 2, 2A or 5 of schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988
- Wholly or partly on ground 7 of schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988 – the enforcement agent must take reasonable steps to ensure the residential premises are empty before serving notice or enforcing the writ/warrant of possession
- Wholly or partly on ground 7A, 14, 14A or 17 of schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1985
- Wholly or partly on case 2 of schedule 15 of the Rent Act 1977
- Where there are substantial rent arrears
This regulation expires on 11th January 2021.
Substantial rent arrears
The statutory instrument has specified the circumstances under which landlords may evict tenants when there are substantial rent arrears.
- There must be arrears equivalent to at least nine months’ rent outstanding at the date on which the order for possession is granted
- The arrears must have accrued before 23rd March 2020. Any unpaid rent arrears accrued after 23rd March 2020 must be disregarded
Taking control of goods
Enforcement visits are permitted during the national lockdown, provided that enforcement agents adhere to the Covid-secure guidance. Regulation 3 in this statutory instrument states that they may not enter residential premises to take control of goods.
Regulation 3 expires at the end of the national lockdown that started on 5th November.
If you need any further information or would like to discuss a case, please get in touch.
Statutory instrument 1290
David is an authorised High Court Enforcement Officer and our Director of Corporate Governance