When you are awarded a judgment, if the debtor does not pay, your next step will be to start enforcement action.

Enforcing a CCJ

You can transfer your judgment to the High Court for enforcement using our online instruction form. Our specialist transfer-up department will start the process as soon as we receive your instruction by completing and sending form N293A to the issuing County Court for Part 2 to be sealed. Once sealed, a writ of control is applied for at the High Court or local District Registry. It is this writ that gives us our powers.

The whole process normally takes less than a week, but can take up to 28 days, as we are dependent upon the speed of service from the issuing court.

Once the writ has been issued, the enforcement process starts with the sending of the Notice of Enforcement in the Compliance Stage. This gives the debtor seven days in which to pay.

If we are not paid in that time, an Enforcement Agent will attend the debtor's premises, usually within a few days, to take control of the debtor's goods under the enforcement stages and may remove the goods to auction under the Sale & Disposal stage if payment is not forthcoming.

Once payment is made, either in full, or via an agreed payment plan, we retain the money for 14 days (this is a legal requirement) before the money is paid to you.

If you need any help or advice, please call us on 0333 001 5100.

How can you speed up the process?

Some of our clients complete the form N293A themselves, physically taking it into the court that issued their judgment and getting part 2 sealed before sending it to us. This can speed up the process significantly, as it is this aspect of the transfer that usually takes the longest.

Make sure that you are sending us to the correct enforcement address. If you are believe the debtor may have moved, then it would make sense to instruct us to do a debtor trace in the first instance.